The mission of the Creston Chamber of Commerce Ambassadors shall be to promote the civic, commercial, and industrial development of the City of Creston by acting and participating as official representatives in all promotions and welcoming new people and businesses in Creston.
• The Chamber Ambassadors held over 35 coffees, ribbon cuttings and open houses during the year and awarded several First Dollar of Profits to new businesses in Creston
• Served over 135 people at the Chamber sponsored Employee Appreciation Omelet Breakfast in May during Small Business Appreciation Month
• Served donuts to the employees of Bunn-O-Matic in October during Salute to Industry Month
• Co-sponsored two Veteran’s Appreciation Breakfasts for the tenth year
• Provided Newsletter Insert opportunities to Chamber Members and local non-profits
• Continued to maintain the web based Community Calendar
• Continued the Chamber Annual Report which appears annually in the Creston News Advertiser in April that highlights our members
• Provided Chamber-wide Email Updates and Alerts to membership
• Sponsored a networking and sharing meeting of the Civic, Service and Volunteer Groups and Clubs in the Spring
SUMMER GOLF OUTING
Sponsored the 20th Annual Chamber Golf Tournament at both Crestmoor and Pine Valley Golf Course in Creston. This is a successful fundraiser for the Chamber and networking opportunity for those who participate.
To continue to create and maintain a positive image of Creston for current and future residents and businesses while maintaining and improving the business climate.
• Continued to collaborate, work with and promote partnerships with various organizations, governmental bodies and groups in Creston and the area to maintain and improve Creston’s quality of life and economics – a partial list would include the following: Creston/Union County Tourism, City of Creston, Union County Development Association, Union County, IowaWORKS Partnership, the Union County Visitors Center, Creston Community Schools, Creston High School FFA, SWCC, Union County Conservation, Green Valley State Park, Creston Park & Recreation Board, McKinley Lake/Hurley Creek Watershed Group, Union County Historical Village, Western Iowa Tourism Region, Central Iowa Tourism Region, Southern Iowa Tourism and Iowa Tourism Department, Creston Volunteer Fire Fighters Easter Event, Creston:Arts Council, No Place Like Creston for the Holidays, High Lakes Leadership Initiative, Regional Entrepreneurship Project, Crestland Betterment oundation, Friends of the Library and CARE.
• Continued to work and assist in retail and commercial recruitment and expansion to strengthen and expand the economic base of Creston
• Continued to market Creston to the area, state and beyond as a business and regional hub
• Continued to assist industry members as requested
• Continued to work with and support the South Central Iowa Small Business Development Center and IowaWORKS
• Continued working to improve broadband access and speed in Creston and surrounding areas
• Continued entrepreneurial initiatives
• Continued the Gold Star Honor for businesses who maintain their property and the Hi-Five Honor for great customer service
• Continued monthly Chamber spots on radio and in the newspaper
• Continued to maintain the Chamber Website, Chamber Facebook Page and Twitter Account to promote Creston and Union County through social media
• Maintained various Creston Brochures to promote Creston
• Continued to provided business referrals, relocation packets, student requests and prospect packets
• Continued offering Newcomer Packets
• Continued to speak to service clubs and other groups about the Chamber and Creston
• Continued to attend City Council meetings and work with and assist local government
• Continued to hold Legislative Coffees and remain in contact with elected representatives
• Continued to organize, assist and promote the various celebrations and events in Creston – 10,000 Crestonians 4th of July, 40th Annual Creston/ Southwest Iowa Hot Air Balloon Days, Lighted Christmas Parade and “No Place Like Creston for the Holidays”
IMAGE ENHANCEMENT COMMITTEE
To create and maintain a positive image of Creston through beautification, restoration and enhancement activities.
In the past this group has spurred many projects that are in place today – city-wide commercial loan program, junk car ordinance, mowing of property, Gold Star Business Honor, Hi-Five Honor, junk houses awareness, rehab of Iowana, garbage for renters, started the Welcome to Creston sign project with the Trees Forever Undertaking, flower pots in Creston etc., street cleaning and snow removal in Uptown Area – odd even parking to make this possible, Community banners, Yards & Areas of the Month, Paint Creston Project in 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 ,2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 with a total of 41 houses given paint, updating citywide Christmas decorations with City, removal of old Kum & Go building, assisted in selecting new light heads in Uptown Creston, initiated conversation on the Rental Housing Ordinance.
• Continue to collaborate and work with other groups and organizations in maintaining and improving the image of Creston– City of Creston, UCDA, FFA, etc.
• Continue to work with City and others on buildings, yards and homes in disrepair and other nuisances
• Continue the Paint Creston Program, 41 homes have been given paint during the 8 years the program has been in existence
• Continue Yards of the Month, areas of the Month and flower pots of the month
PROMOTION & SHOWCASE COMMITTEE
To market, promote, retain and highlight businesses and industries in Creston through various activities and promotions.
• Promoted Moonlight Madness, Citywide Garage Sale, Crazy Summer Sales Days, Tax Free Weekend and Holiday GiveAway
• Continued to promote the use of Creston Bucks, which were spent only at Creston Chamber businesses
• Continued to promote the Shop/Buy Creston First Campaign
• Continued to Spotlight Members in the Chamber Newsletter
• Continued to market events and promotions outside of our area
To continue to attract visitors to the area by marketing Creston as a tourism destination both locally, regionally, statewide and to surrounding states.
• Continued to update and distribute brochures, SIT tabloids, ads and other materials locally, regionally and statewide
• Continued promoting area through various print ads, websites and other social media platforms
• Continued emailing and sending Visitor Packets
• Maintained tourism Web pages – www.unioncountyiowatourism.com.
• Continued working with local motels to promote the area
• Continued to work with local groups involved in tourism to promote and assist Creston and the area: Bob Brown at Mt. Pisgah, Union County Historical Society, the bed and breakfast establishments in the area, various organizations that hold activities and conferences in the area and those involved with the Freedom Rock
• Continued to work with Western Iowa Tourism, Central Iowa Tourism, Southern Iowa Tourism, regional groups and State of Iowa Tourism Office, Travel Federation of Iowa to promote the area.
• Continued to highlight and promote the Park to Park Trail
• Continued maintaining the Visitors Center